|JOB TITLE:||Fife Lake Township Assessor|
|NAME:||Jessica Marvin email@example.com|
|JOB FUNCTIONS:||Contracted service provider for Township Assessment|
|REPORTS TO:||Township Supervisor & Board|
|OFFICE HOURS:||Due to working with several townships the Assessor may be contacted for an appointment by calling the number listed above.|
Broad Statement of Responsibilities
Responsible for overall direction and management of Township’s property appraisal program. Oversees identifying, inventorying, determining market values and calculating assessed valuation for all Township properties in accordance with the State Tax Commission regulations, methods and procedures to ensure fair and equitable assessments. Maintains accurate Homestead and property transfer information in compliance with applicable State laws.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, administers, and provides overall supervision of property appraisal programs for assessment purposes; maintains appropriate level of qualified staff to ensure work is completed to achieve overall department goals.
- Develops policies and procedures in determining true cash value of assess-able real and personal property including locating, identifying and inventorying quantity and characteristics of the property for determining appropriate value and classification.
- Responds to inquiries and requests for assessment information from the public.
- Oversees maintenance of departmental files including property records/cards, physical data, legal descriptions, splits and combinations of parcels, and ownership transfers; strives to identify new/improved methods for carrying out responsibilities of the department.
- Represents the Township in defending assessments appealed to the Michigan Tax Tribunal, and in participating at seminars and conferences at various county and State associations.
- Conducts field inspections of commercial and industrial properties; gathers, analyzes data and performs assessment ratio studies to determine true market values; may input data in to computer system; updates personal property records and supervises sending of assessment notices annually to notify property owners regarding assessed values.
- Ensures that periodic checks are performed with home and business owners regarding changes made to facilities; works with Township Building Inspectors regarding new construction in order to update property records.
- Serves as liaison between the Township and prospective business and industry investors; acts as resource for Township citizens responding to their inquiries, and interpreting applicable State laws.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation of the property assessment roll for presentation to the Board of Review; supervises adjustments of the tax roll directed by the Board of Review; participates in Board of Review sessions and compiles results and oversees preparation of letters and reports associated with this process.
- Submits various forms and schedules as required to satisfy reporting requirements to the State of Michigan.
- Attends annual seminars and other continuing education conferences as required by the State to maintain required certification as a Level III Assessor.
- Maintains current knowledge regarding assessing-related technology, market trends and pending legislation pertaining to taxation and other developments in the property assessment field.
- Performs other tasks as requested by the Township Supervisor.